Golden Andes Luxury Journey ~ 8 days / 7 nights
The Sacred Valley, Cusco & Machu Picchu
This is a beautifully woven combination of an authentic cultural journey with the comfort and style offered by Peru’s top luxury accommodations. Visit the classic destinations and explore our cuisine, with special events to experience and authentically engage in a cultured Indigenous point-of-view.
Recommended for a profound unforgettable vacation that enhances the spirit.
Savor the ambiance of the Sacred Valley, find yourself surrounded by breathtaking scenery and begin your exploration of the Inca legacy through our Quechua descendants. Visit ancient sites, colorful markets, and partake in an ancient living culture rooted in agriculture. Immerse yourself in the spirit of this Inca land. Discover the profoundly elegant simplicity of Andean people and celebrate our customs, cuisine, music and dance. Admire our arts. Delve into our philosophy; understand our history and way of life.
Walk our ancient pathways. Enrich your perspective. Confirm human quintessence.
Recommended for a profound unforgettable cultural immersion that enhances the spirit.
Sacred Valley Highlights
- Engage in this rare opportunity for authentic social interaction, personal comfort at luxury hotels and cultural participation while visiting rural Peru.
- Experience the Sacred Valley stepping back in time, visiting its finest archeological sites, picturesque villages and colorful markets.
- Savor exquisite Peruvian cuisine rooted in ancient agriculture.
- Enjoy daily excursions with in depth, educational stories and explanations by local native guides with our indigenous voice for a well-rounded and profound learning experience.
- Engage in this rare opportunity combining ecological & conscience travel respecting the local land, people and customs with luxurious amenities and most importantly maintaining an authentic & profound cultural content.
- Visit a traditional community and participate in their communal workday ~ a cultural exchange that deepens the appreciation of Quechua history and social life.
- Marvel at Machu Picchu, one of the new 7 wonders of the world.
- Visit Cusco, capital of the vast Inca State, navel of the ancestral world
- Enrich your life. Expand your horizons.
Cusco…surrounded by magnificent mountain Apus and fertile valleys. The Sacred Valley of the Incas – where sacred corn grows and iridescent hummingbirds flutter by sprinkling us with their joy. The Andes… snow peaks soaring in the distance over charming communities, Inca sites, and quaint village markets. Llamas and pre-Columbian reflections. Pristine nature. Blossoming fushia and kantu flowers enticing us. Discover a profound heritage wrapped in layers of colorfully elegant wisdom and contemporary sophistication. The inspiration of world-class comforts and authentic Peruvian hospitality.
Golden Andes Luxury Journey Sample Itinerary
Day one / Thursday
Arrival Sacred Valley
Take a spectacular morning flight to Cusco, “the navel of the world”, land in the heart of the Andes and be greeted at the Cusco airport to begin your exclusive journey. En route to the Sacred Valley of the Incas, explore pre-Columbian sites outside of Cusco including megalithic Sacsayhuaman whose zigzag walls are built with some of the largest stones to be found in Inca masonry, the lunar and solar observatories of Kenko and the sacred spring of Tambomachay. You will be captivated by the introduction to Andean astronomy and sacred geometry, the foundation of Andean culture that will be expanded on each day of your journey. Enjoy a stunning 45-minute scenic drive to Pisac for lunch at Cuchara de Palo Restaurant.
Revel in the striking beauty of the snow-topped peaks, mountainsides delineated by Inca terraces, and fields that cover the valley floor. Arrive to Urubamba with lower altitude and enjoy an afternoon to rest and acclimate, with a quiet dinner at the hotel’s Earth to Table concept restaurant.
Hotel: Inkaterra Hacienda Urubamba Meals: L, D
Sacred Valley Highlights
Day two / Friday
Salt Mines & Ollantaytambo
Drive to the Inca Salt Mines and walk along the salt evaporation ponds still in use today, surrounded by an expansive natural beauty, hundreds of scintillating pools provoke a sense of peaceful timelessness. After a picnic with impressive views, continue to Ollantaytambo’s magnificent archeological site with an impressive astronomical observatory, irrigation waterways and ceremonial site. Learn about the Llama constellation and explore the quaint town that was built in the shape of a corncob. Return to the hotel to enjoy the facilities, or an afternoon of activities that the hotel offers, such as a cooking class or short walks in the area. These activities are pending on availability and may not be included. You can choose to dine at the hotel, or if you prefer going out to dinner we recommend El Huacatay restaurant.
Hotel: Inkaterra Hacienda Urubamba Meals: B, Picnic, (Dinner not included)
Salineras Salt Mines Highlights
Day three / Saturday
Pisac Archeological Site
Drive to the Pisac archeological site where the staggering agricultural terraces are among the most extensive in the area following the shape of the mountainsides in entrancing concave and convex forms. Hike to the central astronomic and ceremonial area, widely acclaimed as some of the finest stonework comparable to that of Machu Picchu. This expansive site provides magnificent vistas up and down the valley. Embark upon a breathtaking walk down to the town of Pisac and along the way, visit Kusi Kawsay Andean School, an exceptional educational project that weaves Andean tradition with elements of Waldorf Pedagogy. Enjoy lunch at the youth led Kusi Ñan Organic Farm. Spend the afternoon exploring the famous Pisac market on your own. After dinner enjoy an authentic traditional music and dance presentation with Wiñay Taki Ayllu, a local group of musicians, artists and visionaries who have dedicated their lives to preserving their Andean culture. This day provides a very rich cultural immersion experience through a local indigenous voice.
Hotel: Pisac Inn Meals: B, L, D
Please note: This night is based at Pisac Inn, a three star boutique hotel with an ideal location for the cultural immersion part of your journey. It is the only night not at a luxury hotel, but the authentic and personalized cultural experiences afford the exclusive luxury of profound engagement.
Pisac Archeological Site & Wiñay Taki Highlights
Day four / Sunday
Traditional Community of Amaru
This day is the heart of our cultural immersion experience. Delight in a 45-minute drive into the majestic high Andes and walk through the patchwork fields replete with potatoes, fava beans and corn to the traditional highland community of Amaru, where a genuinely authentic way of life is still practiced to this day. You will be welcomed with an endearing sweetness rarely felt in this day and age by this community that is consciously preserving and practicing their ancestral heritage. Through participation in a communal agrarian workday a beautiful cultural exchange unravels as you experience this incredible opportunity to step back in time and appreciate a quality of life with an admirable simplicity that is strikingly moving and profound. Enjoy a traditional lunch prepared with their prized agrarian products as the women begin to spin their naturally dyed wool. Others meditatively set up their back strap looms to share their ancestral weaving skills with us. This wonderful opportunity to purchase textiles directly from the weavers is not to be missed. Drive to Cusco, and have a nice dinner out at Chicha Restaurant by Gaston Acurio.
Hotel: La Casona Inkaterra Meals: B, L (dinner not included)
Amaru Community Highlights
Day five / Monday
Take the Hiram Bingham train from Cusco to Machu Picchu. Enjoy a luxury train ride, with lunch and live entertainment aboard. Take the 20-minute bus ride up steep slopes to magnificent Machu Picchu, renown as a wonder of the world. Isolated among mountain peaks, this awe-inspiring site carries sacred mathematical and scientific wisdom yet to be fully discovered. Explore the important sectors in a two hour guided tour with a local guide. Revel in the beautiful natural setting and ancient ruins. Take bus down to Aguas Calientes and spend the afternoon exploring the exotic orchid garden at Inkaterra Machu Picchu Hotel, or indulge in a spa treatment before dinner at the hotel.
Hotel: Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel Meals: B, L, D
Day six / Tuesday
Spend the morning exploring Machu Picchu on your own; you may choose to hike Huayna Picchu, Machu Picchu Mountain, Inti Punku (Sun Gate), or the Inca Bridge. Or you can decide not to return to Machu Picchu, and choose from several excursions offered by the hotel. These excursions may have an additional cost, and must be determined at time of booking the trip. Return to Cusco on the evening Hiram Bingham train, with dinner, drinks and live entertainment aboard.
Hotel: La Casona Inkaterra Meals: B, L, D
Machu Picchu Highlights
Day seven / Wednesday
Explore the streets of Cusco, admire the Inca walls, and visit the main pre-Colombian Inca Temple, Coricancha. Have a relaxing lunch at our favorite restaurant in Cusco, Cicciolina.
Visit the Plaza de Armas, and shop at boutiques that feature high quality alpaca in contemporary designs. Visit the chocolate museum, ChocoMuseo, the San Pedro Central Market, or the Pre-Columbian Museum followed by your last dinner at Limo Restaurant.
Hotel: La Casona Inkaterra Meals: B, (lunch & dinner not included)
Day eight / Thursday
Enjoy breakfast before leaving for the Cusco airport.
The order of your itinerary will change depending on the day you arrive.
Destinations: The Sacred Valley, Cusco & Machu Picchu
Description: High altitude, mountainous terrain. Easy driving tours and day hikes.
Altitudes: Cusco 11,200 ft, Pisac 10,000 ft, Machu Picchu 7,500 ft, Amaru 10,500 ft
Length: 8 days / 87nights
Available: Small group or private
Season: All year
Pace: Moderate, with time for relaxation
Interests: Cultural & Culinary, Andean Heritage, Spirituality & Worldview, Sacred Geometry, Astronomy & Agronomy
Dates: We specialize in weaving dream journeys with our guests; therefore we do not have set dates unless it is an organized Special Interest small group. Please contact us directly to check availability and coordinate dates.
Accommodations: The hotels mentioned in program are subject to change, based on availability.
Meals: This trip includes meals as on program, and a selection of recommended restaurants to explore the culinary scene in Peru. This selection is subject to change based on availability.
Peru Cultural Journeys: Please see our Sustainability Section to learn more about our vision, our commitment to socially and environmentally responsible tourism, our cultural projects, and our recent international certifications with TourCert and AENOR.
If you are interested in our Immersion Series, Special Interest Series or Trekking Series, please see our sample itineraries. These trips are based on our Authentic Andean Journey including extra events and activities with specialists for a more immersive travel experience. We can include any special events or activities to customize your journey.
Extensions: Add on extensions if you want to explore more areas of Peru.
Travel Information: Click here for information on flights, passport, visa, & immunizations.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ): Please see our FAQ section for more information.
Once you book the trip and make a down payment, we will send you a complete Travel Pack with detailed information, including recommended reading and a packing list.
- Pricing according to number of travelers and time of year
- Customized & private upon request
- Airport transfers and all ground transportation upon arrival to Cusco airport in a private tourist level vehicle
- Private, specialized, professional, English speaking native guides on excursions and special events
- Entrance fees to all historical sites on daily excursions
- Cultural events with local Andean specialists
- Meals celebrating Peruvian Cuisine as on program; Selection of fine restaurants to explore the booming culinary scene in Peru
- Accommodations at luxury hotels; standard double occupancy (hotels listed on program based on availability and may be replaced with similar luxury hotels)
- Charming accommodations at Pisac Inn; one night, standard double occupancy
- Cultural Immersion Experience; a 2 day /1 night program with authentic opportunities to personally engage with local indigenous families preserving and practicing their traditional way of life; visit our social projects the Kusi Kawsay Andean School & Kusi Ñan Organic Farm, experience a traditional music and dance presentation with Wiñay Taki Ayllu, stay a night at Pisac Inn, and the following day participate with The Apu Runawana Association in the traditional community of Amaru.
- Round trip Hiram Bingham Luxury Train from Cusco – Aguas Calientes – Cusco
- Round trip bus tickets from Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Aguas Calientes for two days
- Entrance tickets to Machu Picchu for two days
Airfare, travel insurance, personal expenses, special events not included in program, spa treatments, any tips or donations, meals eaten out as indicated on program, and any snacks or beverages not included at mealtime.
- The cost of our tour is in U.S. dollars per person.
- Our small group sizes are minimum 6 & maximum 12 passengers; private groups can be any size, and will be priced accordingly.
- Prices per person are based on double occupancy – a single room has an additional cost, upon availability.
- You can customize your trip and include extensions.
- Taxes may apply.
- Programs and prices are subject to change and availability, and may not be applicable on some dates and holiday seasons.